Dermal filler treatments are used to correct volume loss on the face. As we age, there are several areas of the face which are more prone to volume loss.
- The main area is the cheek area. As we age, the cheeks become flat and develop hollows which contribute to looking old and unwell.
- Around the eyes, the tear trough produces concavity under the eye area, which gives the impression of hollow depressions and flattening of the cheeks which causes us to look tired.
- Loss of elasticity, combined with the effect of gravity can lead to a more prominent nasolabial fold, which is the line between the nostril and the corner of the mouth.
- Marionette lines causing a mouth frown where, over time, there is a loss of the upward turning of the mouth corners and a permanent “sad face”.
- The jaw line loses definition as we age and we develop pre-jowl depressions as a result of sagginess, which creates a heavy appearance to the lower face.
There are many types of dermal filler available on the market. I have chosen to use just two brands at the ESS Clinic, Juvederm and Radiesse. After extensive research of all brands and products on the market, I feel that these have the best safety profile and deliver the best results for patients.
The Juvederm range includes:
- Juvederm Ultra 2 (Used to define the lip line and reduce smokers lines above the lips)
- Juvederm Ultra 3 (Used to treat the moderate nasolabial lines and marionette lines)
- Juvederm Ultra 4 (Used to treat the deep nasolabial lines and marionette lines)
- Volbella (Used to treat the lip volume and contours)
- Volift (Used to treat the nasolabial lines and marionette lines)
- Voluma (Used to treat the cheeks, chin and pre-jowl areas)
All Juvederm products contain local anaesthetic, so injecting the filler into the skin is virtually painless. The aim of the Juvederm products is to revitalise by reducing lines and wrinkles, giving a fresher, brighter facial look. It also lifts to restore loss of volume to the cheeks and the chin, and can be used to define and re-shape areas such as the lips and facial contours.
Different Juvederm products are used for specific areas on the face and each differ in the length of time that the results last. Juvederm products contain hyaluronic acid, which is a natural product that we produce within our skin. Its function is to absorb more moisture and keep the skin well hydrated.
The newer Juvederm products, the Vycross collection – Volbella, Volift and Voluma – represent the latest innovation in hyaluronic acid dermal fillers. These fillers have proven to be superior in that they cause minimal swelling, and the results last up to eighteen months. The gels are much smoother, which means that you cannot feel them within the skin and there is minimal bruising associated with injecting.
Radiesse is a volumising filler that works immediately, so that results are instant. Radiesse adds the volume and lift needed to diminish the signs of ageing by acting as a scaffold under the skin, providing structure and stimulating your own natural collagen to grow. The production of natural collagen continues for several months. The results are proven to last a year to 18 months.
Radiesse contains calcium hydroxyapatite microspheres, suspended in an aqueous gel carrier. Once injected, it produces immediate volume and correction but continues to work by stimulating the body to produce its own natural collagen. Over time the gel is absorbed and the body breaks down the calcium hydroxyapatite, leaving behind only your own natural collagen. When injecting Radiesse it is mixed with Lidocaine (a local anaesthetic) so the procedure is virtually painless.
All patients requesting dermal filler treatments at ESS Clinic are informed of the type of filler being used and the quantity of filler injected. I feel that it is vital that patients know what is being injected into their body and that not only I, but the patient themselves, should always keep a record of this.
To summarise, I think dermal fillers are an excellent treatment. They give immediate results, lift the face and can last up to eighteen months, depending on the type of filler and the area injected. A consultation is conducted with all patients prior to any dermal filler treatment, so that the type of filler to be used can be discussed and patients are aware of the benefits and some possible risks of the procedure. Even though effects are seen immediately, a review appointment will be arranged within two weeks after the treatment to ensure continuity of care
For more information about dermal fillers treatments please visit our website: www.essclinic.co.uk.